What Age Group is Most at Danger for Slip and Fall Accidents?
Many slips and falls are not serious. You pick yourself up and dust off your damaged pride, more than anything else. However, slips and falls can also result in serious injuries or even death. The most at risk age group for injury from slip and fall accidents are the elderly. If you or a loved one suffers severe injury because of unsafe conditions, consider discussing the accident with Murrysville slip and fall accident attorneys.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), these statistics show how much slips and falls affect those who are age 65 and older:
- One in three adults who are age 65 and older falls every year
- An estimated 20 to 30 percent of those who fall suffer moderate to severe injuries, and these injuries make it difficult for them to live by themselves or get around
- In some cases, falls put seniors at risk for early death
- Their hospitalization for slips and falls is five times greater than hospitalizations for other reasons
- Emergency departments treated 2.4 million non-fatal fall injuries for senior adults in 2009
- Of the 2.4 million treated, 662,000 required hospitalization
When unsafe conditions such as torn carpets, worn steps or poorly lit areas are the underlying cause of an elderly person’s slip and fall, you may have grounds for a lawsuit. Murrysville trip and fall accident attorneys can investigate the circumstances surrounding an accident and evaluate the prospects of taking legal action.
Long & Long, LLC works with the elderly, their families and people of all ages who suffer serious slip and fall injuries because of another party’s negligence.